Watch the video to find out how cultural knowledge helped create success factors for Finavia!
Finavia has invested strongly in growing its Asian operations. The results are starting to show in the number of Chinese customers, with a 50% increase taking place between 2014 and 2016. To stay on this growth track, Finavia has invested in increasing its cultural knowledge and developing the customer experience for Chinese travellers.
To meet this need, Acolad organized a series of cultural training sessions for Finavia's people in 2016.
Finavia: Chinese cultural training
HR Partner Sami Laine from Finavia and cultural coach Juha Moilanen from Acolad discuss how increased knowledge of Chinese culture helped create new opportunities for Finavia to serve Chinese travellers even better.
Length & languages
Subtitles: Finnish, English, Chinese
Length: 20 minutes 21 seconds
- 00:00 - Introduction of participants and the topic
- 01:21 - Why did Finavia want to invest in cultural competence?
- 02:36 - What practical action has Finavia taken?
- 03:23 - What has Finavia learned about Chinese culture?
- 04:46 - What other methods has Finavia used to increase cultural competence?
- 05:52 - Where was the cultural training held, and who participated?
- 06:33 - How successful was the training?
- 09:34 - The Chinese language – an impassable wall or a realistic development goal?
- 12:11 - The Finnish Experience – what could it mean for Chinese travellers?
- 12:30 - What do Chinese customers want to learn about Finland?
- 18:06 - What surprised you regarding Chinese culture?
- 19:30 - Conclusion: How has Finavia used its increased cultural competence?
Other case studies
Nivos Oy has invested in improving the language skills of its employees in order to improve their ability to serve customers in English. Acolad has provided language training at their premises that focuses on customer service language, presentation skills, and business behavior in other cultures.
Acolad provided the Pirkanmaa TE Office with a communication training course for non-Finnish-speaking jobseekers who were professionals in the ICT field.
ABB strongly believes that Swedish language learning is important in terms of promoting integration and well-being on the part of the company’s international experts.
Acolad helped Oras Group to digitalize their popular customer training concept the Faucet school and create several language versions of eTraining.
“We wanted to make an eLearning course that would be fresh and different from our previous version, covering real-life scenarios for ethical decision-making.
Acolad was very flexible in responding to our demands, and also their specialization in translation services was helpful in this project with 20 language versions.”